Page 1 of 2
ADVENTURES IN OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
-- GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS
AIOM COUPONS FOR DSCI 300, PRESCRIPTIVE BUSINESS ANALYTICS, ARE DUE
SEPTEMBER 12, MONDAY, AT THE BEGINNING OF CLASS.
DATES ARE FIXED, FIRM DEADLINES, AS DICTATED BY HAWKES LEARNING
SYSTEMS TECH SUPPORT IN SOUTH CAROLINA.
If you do not have the coupon filled out and presented to your instructor during the designated
"turn-in day" class meeting, all class A.I.O.M. assignments will be considered
late and no credit given. Ouch! That would be 'bad news' given instructor's Incomplete
Policy DETAILED ON THE COURSE SYLLABUS LINK.
Step 1. Purchase Adventures in Operations Management CD-ROM and Booklet (author is Quant
Systems, Inc., now Hawkes Learning Systems) from USD Bookstore. Make sure the booklet
has with it a shrinked wrapped white and red licensing coupon that has not been filled out.
Note: Your CD-ROM should have printed message on label : Customized Version 3.2,.
If you purchase the AIOM Booklet with the AIOM CD-ROM from a Internet catalogue
company, e.g., Amazon.com, you will not be purchasing the Helmich, customized version #3.2
Step 2. Print your name carefully on the blank coupon along with other information -- course
is DSCI 300 (and add your section number) and current date.
Each coupon has a distinct license number. You cannot use someone else's coupon who has either
currently enrolled OR PREVIOUSLY enrolled in DSCI 300 or DSCI 303. Exception:
you do not have to purchase the AIOM booklet if you, yourself, have taken either
DSCI 300 or DSCI 303 before from PROFESSOR 'mad-dog' HELMICH. In these cases
you will be able to use your previous access code. If you need your previous access code, send
Hawkes-Learning Systems and email with your name, title and name of the course and date you took
previously took the course. Your instructor does not maintain access codes on file -- you will need to get it
(if you lose it) directly from Hawkes Learning Systems.
Step 3. To obtain your access code you will need to connect to the Internet
The Internet site you will access has the URL of -- This link below is live, so just click on it:
1. On instructor’s home page click on C LASS SOFTWARE LINK. On Adventures in Operations Management General Instructions (1.) link click on aiomp1.htm link.
2. Scroll to Step 3 and click on live link to hawkeslearning.com
3. On next screen click on Students (green bar)
4. Scroll WAY down to Installed Product section and click on Register License Number – on bottom of your LICENSE COUPON.
5. On next screen fill out information – must also scroll down to School portal – find University of San Diego
6. Then click on I Agree portal to the terms… and then click Submit
7. Next screen will show your AIOM access code needed to open up software – more on this aspect of software usage coming up when assign first AIOM assignment
8. Now you will see your access code come up on the computer screen or you will receive and Email
with 30 character access code. This code sets you name, module name, date or executing software module, and certificate code -- more on certificate code later.
9. You must print access code out or copy it down (if not print out) to work with the AIOM homework assignments.
Your instructor does not have access to 'access codes' -- only obtained by you from Hawkes-Learning.
Special Note - If you have trouble obtaining your access code from Hawkes Learning
Systems web site or other issues using A.I.OM. software, then a good help number to Hawkes-Learning
is 1-843-571-2825 (not the one in the AIOM Booklet, which is 1-803-571-2815). Or you may call toll free at
1-800-426-9538. Numbers here are available from Monday-Friday 8:30 am-10:00 pm
and from 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm on Sundays -- these times are Eastern Standard Time.
There also are options to do a Live Chat and other issues all under Contact support within
the URL noted above. But for quick link reference here are the technical support
contacts available -- just click below.
* Chat LIVE with a Hawkes-Learning representative -- this is 24/7:
* Search the knowledgebase for a solution to your question:
* Create a technical support case:
Special Note: DO THIS STEP 3 of these instruction -- OBTAINING YOUR ACCESS
CODE -- BEFORE the next STEP 4 (NOTED BELOW). WHY? so you can obtain your
ACCESS CODE BEFORE TURNING IN COUPON TO THE INSTRUCTOR.
(Otherwise you will need to dig through a pile of coupons in your instructor's office in
order to obtain your license number to regain your access code..)
Step 4. Give the filled-out coupon to your instructor during class date indicated (NOT BEFORE THIS
DATE NOR AFTER THIS DATE) -- so you have to obtain A.I.O.M. booklet before that due
date. Hawkes-Learning Systems located in Charleston, South Carolina,
develops encrypted access codes, not your instructor. So, it is not a matter of your instructor
just looking up access codes.
Step 5. Once you have an access code you will be asked to do (access) certain
modules on the AIOM CD-ROM. Now just insert the AIOM CD-ROM disk in your computer's CD-ROM drive
and click on set-up icon. Follow instructions and then click 'yes' to run. Then click on
assigned module. Enter access code received from Hawkes-Learning) web site. Careful, difficult to
tell difference among L or I or 1 or l and between 0 and O. So try variations until correct.
Recommend after your enter your access code to then save access code to PC Stick (a.k.a., USB
Drive or Thumb Drive or Flash Drive) Now you will not have to manually type in the access
code for the next AIOM modules assigned. Your name should appear the same as
that registered with Hawkes-Learning web site. You may want to invest in a few PC sticks
(USB Flash drive or cloud account such as a 'drop box' so you can save your documents. If you have only a
MAC/Apple computer you will have problems with installing the AIOM software. So what can you do?????
1. Go to USD computer labs located in Olin 122 or Serra Hall 205 and use the AIOM
software that is already installed. DO NOT USE/INSERT YOUR AIOM CD-ROM. In Serra Hall lab look around and find a PC (not a MAC with the
Apple insignia on computer). See AIOM Access Instructions on Mad-Dog's home page. (www.sandiego.edu/~dhelmich/main.htm).
2. Use a friend's PC. Your personal access code will generate the needed certificate with your name and module.
See below (next page) information on certificate printing and certificate, completion code, output numbers.
3. You may consider downloading software that makes your Mac work like a PC. However, there are no
guarantees that you will be able to run AIOM. There are web sites you can go to download virtual PC
software such as: www.parallels.com. There are software download programs
such as 'Fusion' available to purchase (at USD Bookstore for $69.00) to be able to run PC software on a MAC computer.
Go to USD Bookstore and ask for Tech Office to obtain web access licensing code for downloading this software.
4. You are able as a USD student to check out from Serra 205 lab a PC laptop computer. You must return
the laptop within four (4) hours. There are ten PC laptops and ten Mac laptops available for First Come First Serve.
If not returned in four hours, there are hourly charges beyond the four hour time limit.
5. Buy a new PC computer -- you will probably work with a Microsoft PC in the business world -- well, unless you work
for Apple, Inc. Very few of the large Fortune 500 companies are set-up to work with Mac's.
Again, if you cannot set up AIOM software on your own computer just keep it simple and
just consider using a friend's or going to USD Olin 122 and/or Serra 205. When at the USD computer labs
ask for the 'lab assistant' if you have problems accessing AIOM software. If no help from lab assistant, then
have lab assistant check with his or her lab supervisor.
Click Here for Page 2 of AIOM Instructions